Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Getting A Cold, Resting, And Being In Large Font Heaven

I am recovering from my first garden-variety cold since this ordeal began. It was one of those nose-runs-like-a-faucet type colds with a lot of sneezing. Sneezing is a really bad move when you have tumors in your sternum and ribs. I don't advise it. I feel like I was kicked in the chest and ribs. Laughing is the medicine I need, but it hurts terribly to take it.

As I move into the next phase of this ordeal, I am finally having a bit more time to slow down and rest. I have had my first few days at home with no appointments and no forms to fill out. I even delivered all my tax documents to my accountant today, so that's done too. People keep asking what it's like to not be working, and I don't know what to say. Until last week, I have been busier than when I was working!

I have a huge stack of books, some of which came from some of you, and some of which I have bought. I can barely focus my eyes, let alone read. Many of my patients have seen me whip open the PDR, the book with the tiniest print on Earth, and brag about my great eyesight. My eyes never shifted in my 40s, but suddenly at 53 with the stress of living with cancer, everything is a blur. This should be my worst problem! I bought a Kindle and now I'm living in large-font heaven.