Friday, December 25, 2009

Chow Mein, A Good Film, And Laughter On Christmas

So many of you have voiced concerned about how Christmas is going to be for me this year with my “situation.” People who celebrate this holiday have a really hard time imagining that someone else doesn’t have any attachment to it. I don’t. The first Christmas I was involved in was in 1997. I was 41. Christmas has traditionally been a day for me that involves mostly Jews, with a few Buddhists, Hindus (and others not interested in traditional Christmas, especially in New York) eating Chinese or Indian food, going to the movies, going for a long walk, and listening to comedy. For a group of people (Jews) who can tend to be overly serious and burdened with their ancestral history of oppression to spend a day celebrating another religion’s holiday with food and laughter is a healthy expression of life force. Please, I hope no one is offended by this. If there is a God who wants something from us, I hope it’s laughter. Laughing is my favorite form of praying.

If your Christmas is in need of some more humor, check out David Sedaris’ fabulous true story (not suitable for young children) about the year he worked as Crumpet the Elf in Macy’s New York:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4243755

Please don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against Christmas, and what it truly stands for. I ponder the commercialization and distortion of the holiday by capitalism, and try to find a way to connect with the essence of Divine child energy and the possibility of miracles on this sacred day. Having minimal exposure to the holiday until I was in my 20’s, I come to this day with a fairly innocent sense of wonder and no emotional baggage. I just crave chow mein and a good film!