Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Handless Maiden's Brother & Some Good Food

The spell of the Handless Maiden is unfolding. My cast is coming off in the morning, and so begins the road to recovery. I will be doing some mainstream hand therapy along with my own set of exercises, dives, micromovements, and a variety of other tricks. A whole team of people will do various forms of their-hands-on-my-hands. I have minimal discomfort and the numbness is already about 60% better. The surgeon told me not to expect full recovery for 3-6 months and I'm already well on my way!

My brother and sister-in-law are coming (from south Florida, where I grew up) tomorrow for a 4 day stay. I'm looking forward to long days of hanging around the kitchen table telling stories and drinking tea. We will most likely venture out to some of my favorite local spots, but I'm mostly looking forward to just being together.

I'm bursting because of the difficulty typing/writing. I'm writing in my imagination, and hoping to get some of what I think about down on paper before it fades away. Please hang in there with me, and give me a few more weeks, and I will have some juicy blog entries. My hands need more rest. Typing is slow and I can't hold a pen yet.

Here is a link to another one of those amazing, informative, and inspiring talks from the TED Conference this year, entitled "Can we eat to starve cancer?"
http://www.ted.com/talks/william_li.html

In addition to Dr Li's list of anti-angiogenesis foods, here's a list of foods that are known to be anti-cancer (for you science nerds, via inhibiting nuclear factor Kappa Beta):

almonds, anise, basil, black pepper, caraway, cardamom, cashews, chili peppers, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, cumin, fennel, fenugreek, fig, flax seeds, garlic, ginger, gooseberry, holy basil, lemongrass, mango, mint, mustard seeds, nutmeg, onion, oregano, parsley, pecan, pomegranate, rosemary, prunes, saffron, sesame, tamarind, and walnuts.

Reference: Aggarwal, B. and Shishodia, S: Supression of the nuclear factor kappa beta activation pathway by spice derived phytochemicals: reasoning for seasoning. Ann NY Acad Sci, Dec 2004; 1030: 434 – 41.

Whip up something with a high "Yum factor" as Rebecca Katz, author of "The Cancer Fighting Kitchen" says. Check out her fabulous book:
http://www.amazon.com/Cancer-Fighting-Kitchen-Nourishing-Big-Flavor-Treatment/dp/1587613441/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274842609&sr=1-1