Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I'm (relatively) fine - blogging will resume soon

I have a frightening number of emails in my inbox from those of you concerned about my lack of blog entries. I keep thinking I'm going to answer you all individually and get some inspiration to start blogging again, but writing just isn't happening easily these days and I have an aversion to pushing against resistance. It's good medicine for me to notice when I feel like I have to brace myself and push, and then choose another path.

I'm doing (relatively) fine. On the cancer front, there's nothing new. My bony lesions are still there, slowly shrinking and remodeling. I've had issues with my kidneys that have effected my blood pressure, but that seems to be manageable right now. The side effects from the anti-estrogen drug are worse than the disease, but I'd rather have joint pain than cancer. You must know I'm doing everything possible to care for myself on every other level to cope with my situation.

I'm doing well enough to bond with my new home and indulge in the simple pleasures of mundane life. We're making friends and totally loving our massively simplified life. Summer in Vermont is amazing.

We're off to Montreal (an hour and a half drive) for a 15th anniversary celebration. When we get back we have my step-son Ben and his girlfriend visiting for a week, on their way home from their European adventure. August comes with my next set of scans. You can look forward to a real blog entry mid-August.

I'm grateful to have you all in my life. I watched a video of Fritjof Capra in conversation with Brother David Steindl-Rast yesterday and he said, "Community is the antidote for consumerism." Ponder the possibilities of how that might influence your life. You'll be hearing more from me in the next month.